Our calendar of arts & creative events around Ouray County (scroll down for more info about our specific upcoming events)
**Click on the little triangle in the upper right corner of the calendar to limit which calendar listings you can see at once**
The Ridgway Creative District Committee normally meets on the 3rd Tuesday of the month from 3:00 – 5:00pm. Please contact Diedra Silbert, the Community Initiatives Facilitator, to confirm time and location if you would like to attend: (firstname.lastname@example.org or 970-626-5308 x.215). All are welcome!
The Business of Art: Growing Into An Artist's Life
April 30th, 12-5pm - Sherbino Theater
Another segment in the "The Business of Art" series, Patricia Morrison of Inner Fire, Outer Light will help artists find work/life balance that leads to more successful use of time and creativity, being presented at the Sherbino Theater April 30 from 12-5 pm.
Inner Fire, Outer Light helps overwhelmed and under-valued working artists, writers, musicians and other creative professionals to make a living, make a life and make a difference in the world with their gifts and visions.
This workshop will include how to:
Connect with your bigger artistic and life purpose
Make time for what matters & become a prioritizing pro
Create a clear plan so you know exactly what to do next
Get to know & find your true fans and perfect clients
Discover a sustainable income from your creative gifts
This session comes with a bonus private Creative Career Jumpstart Session with Patricia for each participant after the workshop. Tuition is $50, and the workshop will run 12-5 pm at Sherbino Theater.
Space to Create Ridgway Seeks Input at Survey Soirée
On Tuesday, January 31, from 5:00 to 7:30pm, at the Sherbino Theatre (604 Clinton St.) in Ridgway, the local creative sector has a chance to provide input on the upcoming Space to Create project during a fun kickoff of its online survey. Ridgway was recently selected by Space to Create Colorado partners to build a facility downtown to provide affordable workforce housing and working space for creative sector entrepreneurs. The online survey to gather data about the needs of individual creatives, creative businesses, and creative organizations in the region will go live on January 31st. A Space to Create Fact Sheet is available at: www.ridgwaycreativedistrict.com/space-to-create. The definition of “Creative Sector” is quite broad and includes architects, digital designers, craftspeople, and other contributors in a wide range of fields, as well as those more commonly considered artists.
The goal of the Space to Create initiative is to stimulate community and economic development in the local region by providing long-term affordable and financially sustainable working space and housing for creative sector employment. “That could mean a lot of things,” says Diane Quarles, a local artist and member of the Space to Create committee. “...So the only way we will know the needs of our area’s creative population is to ask them.”
To that end, the Town and its Space to Create volunteer group worked with Artspace, the nonprofit developer and technical consultant for the project, to create an online survey specifically for the project. The survey will collect statistical information to inform the design of the facility, to be located on the corner of Clinton St. and N. Laura Streets. Responses to the survey will inform the design of the building, including features, amenities, and uses for the space. Data gained will also help build support and funding to make the new space a reality.
From January 31 to March 28, 2017, the Ridgway Space to Create survey will be available online at [link to be posted on January 31st]. To kick it off, Space to Create will hold a “Survey Soirée” on Tuesday, January 31, from 5 pm to 7:30 pm at the Sherbino Theatre (604 Clinton St.) in Ridgway. At the event, there will be information, food, a cash bar, and creative entertainment. Representatives from Artspace will give brief perspective on the initiative in Colorado and answer questions about Space to Create Ridgway. Computers will be available for participants to take the survey, and all are encouraged to bring their own laptops or tablet devices.
Nov. 12th, 2016 – Film Fest MoonWalk
Please join the Ridgway Creative District and Weehawken Creative Arts for the second Independent Film Fest at the Sherbino Theater (604 Clinton St.) on Saturday, November 12th from 6:00 – 9:00PM. We will be rolling out the red carpet for 8 short films from Colorado filmmakers, both professional and amateur. Come watch all of them and then vote for your favorite for the People’s Choice Award! Awards will also be given for First Place Professional Category and First Place Amateur Category. Some films include adult content; parental discretion advised.
Films to be shown include:
- A view into the work of sculptor Emmett Culligan as he prepares large sculptures for an exhibit. From professional filmmaker Dana Forsberg.
- A look at the Rio Grande 315 which is pulling special trains in Southwest Colorado more than 120 years after it was built for the Florence & Cripple Creek railway. From amateur filmmaker Olaf Rasmussen.
- Ben Hunter, amateur filmmaker, described his film as: "Creativity is with us from the beginning. We simply choose when to embrace it."
- The story of Alejandro, who always knew deep down inside she was a chola, not a cholo. From Brenda Avila and Dana Forsberg, professional filmmakers.
- Two mini-documentaries, one about a sculptor and community organizer in Denver and Joes, CO named Maureen Hearty, and one about Francisco Nevarez-Burgueño, the director of Aspen Santa Fe Ballet's Folklórico program, based in Carbondale. From professional filmmaker Zach Wolfson.
- An amalgamation of four short motion-art films. Heidi and Richard Eversley, professional filmmakers.
- A short documentary telling the story of Roxanne Mena, diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, as she comes to terms with her diagnosis and newly changed life. From amateur filmmaker Natalie Villa.
- The winning entry from this summer's "Get Some Ridgway Funk" contest. From Weehawken Creative Arts' Natasha Pyeatte.
The well-attended Ridgway MoonWalk Art Outings series began in July 2013 to support creative individuals and highlight their work. Ridgway is a rural Western Slope small town in a beautiful setting beneath the San Juan Mountains. The Ridgway Creative District is a Colorado Certified Creative District.